Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BLOG: Oh, I love technology...

Joshua Ligairi » 02.25.09 »

Actually that's not true. I'm not very technically minded, I hate adopting new technologies, and I'm usually very uninterested in how these things work. Yes, I am one of those highfalutin artistic types that still enjoys vinyl, thinks CGI ruins movies, and often asserts that technology is for nerds who "chat online with babes all day". The good news? Now I don't have to learn this stuff. I just have to call the good folks at Digital Domain.

Digital Domain VP Ed Ulbrich was recently at the TED (Technology Entertainment Design) 2009 Conference where he gave a presentation called “How Benjamin Button Got His Face.” The annual conference brings together the world’s most accomplished thinkers and doers who give these amazing 18 minute presentations explaining their craft.

Ulbrich demonstrated the technology behind Brad Pitt’s character in David Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, for which Ulbrich just won an Oscar. I've re-posted the video of his presentation below. I have been impressed with Digital Domain's work since I saw the behind-the-scenes documentary about their work on Fincher's Zodiac, but this blows that out of the water.

You know, I just realized that I'm responding to this video not because of the technology aspect but because of that peek behind the curtain that it gives. I've always been obsessed with makings-of (probably why I loved making them on films like Evil Angel and Pirates of the Great Salt Lake) and it was actually the behind-the-scenes of Michael Jackson's Thriller that first got me interested in filmmaking. I'd say that this is largely akin to that.

You should really watch this video. I promise that, if you have the slightest interest in the future of filmmaking, you will be glad you did.



Find more "ideas worth spreading" at the TED website. Aaron Ruell photo from Napoleon Dynamite taken by my friend Seth Smoot.