Friday, July 2, 2010

BLOG: Writing junk

Joshua Ligairi » 07.02.10 »

Check out this podcast.

Some of you may already know this but, I've recently had the opportunity to write for one of my favorite film sites, Film Junk. I came about the site because of the podcast put on by site editor Sean Dwyer, along with co-hosts Jay Cheel and Greg Gaspari (and the occasional madness of Reed Farrington). The dynamic between these guys is amazing and listening becomes like hanging out with old friends. In fact, when I've become homesick traveling, Film Junk is one of a few select shows I could listen to that would transport me back home. Late night on the train in Germany, sleeping on the couch in Barcelona, and stranded in the hotel room in Orlando...I was bummed out and Film Junk was there.

Anyway, it has been an interesting experience writing for the site. As you can probably glean, I listen to a lot of film podcasts and, because I am very opinionated on the topic, I usually feel frustrated about not being able to share my opinions. The only two options I can see are either being the really annoying listener who writes overwrought, scathing emails of no consequence whatsoever (as I unfortunately did not to long ago with the /Filmcast) or I can just join the conversation (and write overwrought scathing articles of no consequence whatsoever). Done.
Buy this t-shirt.

It has been a lot of fun so far. I've written articles about the possibility of Joseph Gordon Levitt (who has been one of my favorite actors since I worked with him at the Sundance Lab) playing The Riddler in the new Batman movie, the possibility of Danny Boyle directing the 2012 Olympics, the unfortunate acquisition of Joaquin Phoenix's self-indulgent mock/doc, the first photos from the set of The Walking Dead (a TV series based on the only comic I read diligently), a remake of (one of my all time favorite films) The Monster Squad, and a remake of (a recent classic) Let the Right One In. These are all things I would normally love to discuss ad nauseum and now I have an outlet that doesn't annoy my loved ones.

That said, writing news stories is not exactly my passion. I'm not sure how long this will sustain my interest or how long they will want me to continue, but I am enjoying it for now. Big up to Sean Dwyer for the opportunity. Next up...Film Junk podcast?! Check out the Film Junk website here, the podcast here, follow @FilmJunk on Twitter, and read some of my articles below:

06.14.10 Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Talks to Play The Riddler?

06.14.10 Danny Boyle to Direct 2012 Olympics?

06.16.10 First Images from The Walking Dead

06.17.10 The Monster Squad Remake Gets Writers

06.22.10 Magnolia to Acquire Joaquin Phoenix Doc(Mock?)umentary

07.01.10 Let Me In International Trailer