Thursday, June 9, 2011

BLOG: Get outta my space!


Joshua Ligairi » 06.09.11 »

I have a hard time accepting change. Example: I finally got around to canceling my MySpace account last night and was immediately worried that I might have been too hasty. On the plus side, Rachel is worse than me. She begged me not to close it for about five minutes "for nostalgic reasons." Her last login was in 2009.

Still, once she had planted that seed of doubt, I started to second guess myself. They don't make it easy on you either. There is a lot of begging and pleading with a two day window to change your mind. It's like breaking it off with a stalker.

Man, what a disaster that profile was. Revisiting it was a lesson to myself that I can't handle too much freedom. I run amok. First off all, those terrible layouts. I could never find one that truly expressed who I was--or even one without glittery flowers on it. Visiting other people's profiles was worse. The layouts were always annoyingly overdone and took forever to load with five different songs playing over the top of each other. Just an awful mess.

I had finally settled on a nice, clean, Wes Anderson-themed layout. Why? Because Bottle Rocket was one of my favorite films in high school. Okay...

My profile name was "Joshua is Magic." Yes, a reference to Sarah Silverman's stand up DVD Jesus is Magic but why? This is why I have never kept a journal and blog very little. I cringe when I look back.

Anyway, glad to be done with MySpace for the most part. I decided to at least grab some of the pictures from my profile that I wasn't sure I had anywhere else. Please find them below.

One thing I will miss is seeing Rachel's profile image, a scan of the peel of a tangerine she had eaten at work (above). Totally random, but when I saw it, I got what she meant about nostalgia.

Also, I liked the music on my page. My profile used to play music by my friend Chris' band, Mr. Fusion and the Flux Capacitor, upon visiting the page (a function I think they did away with). So, if you'd like, let's do the time warp together and click on this player as you enjoy the photos. It's almost like it's five years ago!




















For whatever reason, I still haven't cancelled the Icarus A&E MySpace page, despite the fact that, before today, I hadn't logged on in a year. We'll see if it pays off when this whole Facebook / Twitter thing comes crumbling down.