Wednesday, June 29, 2011

POSTER: Michael Stephenson's Destroy

Joshua Ligairi » 06.29.11 »

Michael Paul Stephenson is from my same geographic area and religious background. He's also a documentary filmmaker and we share a lot of common friends both in and out of the entertainment business. Zack Carlson was in Mike's first film, (the hit documentary) Best Worst Movie, of which I am a big fan. Zack also penned a favorite book of mine, Destroy All Movies!!!, which through an odd turn of events, I will be directing a documentary adaptation of.

Those random connections notwithstanding, I'm really looking forward to seeing Destroy, a new film which Mike will direct from Zack's script, as a rabid genre film fan.

The set up is amazing. According to The Hollywood Reporter: "In Destroy, vampires don't exist, but that doesn't stop a well-intentioned would-be vampire hunter from leaving a trail of blood-splattered wooden stakes across Bavaria. While he thinks he's saving the world, he is mistakenly murdering innocent old men." Genius. Add it to the list of films I wish I'd thought of. Report's THR, "Destroy will shoot in Eastern Europe and is in the early stages of casting."

Anyway, this is all old news, but I recently stumbled across this (AMAZING) early artwork for the film online and I got excited about the project all over again. Thought I'd share the poster and my anticipation here. I'm super excited for Mike to be able to make this transition into fictional filmmaking so easily. I'm also excited for Zack to go from film programmer to filmmaker. There is also the chance that this will help out my collaboration with Zack on the Destroy All Movies!!! documentary. If you are at all interested based on the concept of poster, you should also read this nice little interview with Mike and Zack by the great Devin Faraci over at at Badass Digest: http://bit.ly/i1bPFP